If you are missing one or two teeth, you don't have to live life with an imperfect smile. You can replace your lost teeth with dental implants. Implants are as close as you can get to a permanent replacement for lost teeth. In the past, bridgework and dentures were the only options for missing teeth which left many people choosing to just leave the space empty. If you are missing even one tooth, it can change the alignment of your teeth and cause the shape of your jaw and smile to change over time. If you are considering dental implants there are a few things you should know before making a final decision.
- Implants can be used to replace just one tooth
- They have a great aesthetic quality
- The anchor of the implant fuses with bone to create a new permanent structure to hold the replacement tooth
- Bone loss is avoided because implants replace the root of the tooth as well
- The procedure can take up to 6 months to complete while waiting for the screw and bone to fuse.
- Complications such as bleeding, infection or nerve injuries are possible to occur
- The gums are the implants can still get infected which could trigger bone loss
- Insurance does not cover implants and they can be a costly financial investment.
Dentists consider implants to be a reliable option for people with mild tooth loss. If you have your teeth still steps should be taken to preserve them before going for the extraction and implant route. Implants are a great alternative to dentures. Dentures have a lot of maintenance needed to keep them nice and clean. People with dentures are also more likely to suffer from bone loss in their jaw because they have no tooth roots in their gums anymore. Dentures can also be noisy and can fall out of your mouth at very inopportune times.
With dental implants, you will never have to worry about looking unnatural and you don't have to change your oral health habit (if you are already practicing good ones). If you are missing any teeth, contact your Garden City, GA dentist to discuss your options for dental implants. Our office can be reached at (912) 966- 2102.